“My kitchen is a mystical place, my temple. It is where the learning of the past transfer into the future.”...Chef Manjit Singh Gill, Corporate Chef ITC Hotels
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
CHEF MANJIT SINGH GILL SHARES A YUMMYLICIOUS RECIPE MADE USING THE KITCHENAID STAND MIXER TO TRY THIS FESTIVE SEASON
TAR BADAM MEWA PALAK
Fresh green almonds of the season cooked along with pistachio, cashew nuts, raisins and spinach and carefully spiced.
Shelled green almonds: 1 Cup; Pistachio: ¼ cup; Cashew nuts: ¼ cup; Raisins: tbsp.; Cold pressed Mustard oil: 2 ½ tbsps.; Fenugreek seeds: ¼ tsp.; Mustard seeds: ¼ tsp.; cumin seeds: 1 tsp.; White Sesame seeds: 1 tsp.; Dried red chilli broken into 2-3 pieces: 1 no; grated Jaggery: 2tbsp.; finely chopped ginger: ¾ tbsp.; Green Chillies cut into halves lengthwise: 2 nos; Fresh green spinach, trimmed washed well, cut into large pieces : 1 kg; Fresh coconut, cut into small dices: ½ cup; Salt: to taste; Cream: 3 tbsp. ; Nutmeg grated: ¼ tsp.
1. Soak peeled fresh almonds in ¾ cup of water. Pistachio, cashew nuts and raisins in separately each in ¾ cup of water over night or 5 -6 hours. Strain and reserve the water.
2. Rub pistachio in the kitchen cloth little hard to remove the skin. Remove the loosen skins. Wash all the fruits in fresh water and drain well.
3. Heat the mustard oil to just the smoking point on medium heat in thick bottom pan, remove from heat and let it cook for a minute. Place pan back on low heat, add fenugreek seeds, stir for a second, add mustard seeds & cumin seeds, stir for few seconds. Finely add sesame seeds stir for few seconds add now broken dried red chilli stir until pleasant aroma starts from spices.
4. Add grated jaggery stir continuously until jaggery caramelises. Stir in the chopped ginger; slit green chillies, almonds, cashew nuts, coconut dices. Sprinkle little salt stir and then add spinach mix slowly until spinach and masala mixed. Add the reserved water ½ - ¾ cup. Let it cook on medium - high heat for 6 - 8 minutes or the moisture is evaporated. Remove and place in the shallow casserole.
5. Mix grated nutmeg and cream well and pour over the spinach and almonds. Let it cool or if it prepared in advance then refrigerate when cool.
DOUGH FOR BAKING:
Whole wheat flour: 1 ¾ cup; Salt: ½ tsp.; Sugar: ½ tsp.; Desi Ghee: 4 tbsp.
1. Put flour in the large bowl, add desi ghee and work with your fingers. Pour measured water and make the dough.
2. USING KITCHENAID STANDMIXER IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It takes less time and is easy and clean. Fix the bowl and dough hook. Put the flour, salt and sugar, start the mixer at the lowest speed and run for 8 – 10 seconds. Now starts pouring 3 Tbs. melted desi ghee and let mixer run for 15 – 20 seconds until the mixture takes the consistency of fresh bread crumbs. While kitchen aid running add ¼ cup of warm water 40degree Centigrade or 100 degree Fahrenheit in a steady stream. The flour will become a mass, add another ¼ cup of water in dribbles until dough forms a smooth ball and the bowl is clean. If the dough is little thin then some flour may be dusted or if the dough is hard then little water may be added continue machine running. Once a bowl is formed let it run for 15 – 18 seconds to give smoothness and elastic to feel. Let it rest in the bowl for few minutes and then remove from the bowl. Place in another bowl, cover with a wet cloth and let it rest for 20 – 25 minutes.
3. Knead the dough again for a minute. Take 1/3 of the dough, roll into a smooth ball. Cover with a plastic film and set aside. Flatten the ball and dust with flour on both sides and roll into little bigger than the size of the casserole.
COVERING WITH DOUGH AND BAKING:
Make the sides of the ready casserole with water; now lift the dough carefully with the rolling pin. Cover the casserole and press the hanging dough on the wet sides of the casserole. Brush melted desi ghee on top and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degree Centigrade or 345 degree Fahrenheit for 12 - 15 minutes.
Serve hot and cut the crust and enjoy flavours and served with emotions.